Faculty and Staff Directory » Kimberly GrederView Directory | Update Profile
Title: Professor/ Family Life Extension State Specialist
Department: Human Development & Family Studies / Human Sciences Extension and Outreach
Office: 56 Lebaron 626 Morrill Rd., Ames, IA 50011
Phone number: +1 515 294 5906
- Family health and well-being, with specific focus on low-income rural and Latino immigrant families.
- Family support and parenting.
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, 2000
- M.S., Iowa State University, 1991
- B.S., Iowa State University, 1986
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- National Council on Family Relations
- National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
Strengthening family engagement for Latino youth educational attainment:
- Juntos: Together for a Better Education, an Extension research project focused on helping Latino youth academically succeed in high school and gain access to higher education.
Promoting Latino Family Health:
- Abriendo Caminos- Clearing the Path for Hispanic health, an integrated Extension research project focused on preventing obesity among Mexican youth.
- Iowa Rural Latino Family Project. Associated with the larger multi-state project, Interactions of individual, family, community, and policy contexts on the mental and physical health of diverse rural low-income families (NC1171) (http://www.csrees.usda.gov/nea/family/sri/family_sri_ruralfam.html)
- 2017 Rossmann Manatt Faculty Development Award, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University
- 2013 North Central Region Excellence in Extension Award, Cooperative Extension and the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- 2013 Outstanding Engagement Award Association of Public Land Grant Universities Board on Human Sciences
- 2013 Outstanding Achievement in Extension or Professional Practice, Iowa State University
- 2013 Selected “Best Article” in the Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. “Latina Immigrant Mothers: Negotiating New Food Environments to Preserve Cultural Food Practices and Healthy Child Eating.”
- 2012 Nourish Iowa Award, Special Honoree, Food Access & Health Work Group, Iowa Food Systems Council
- 2012 Meritorious Service Award, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
- 2012 Career Achievement in Outreach Award, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University
- 2009 Selected Best Article in the Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. Exploring Relationships between Transnationalism and Housing and Health Risks of Rural Latino Immigrant Families.
- 2007 Early Achievement Award
Human Development and Family Life Extension State Specialists
- 2006 Continued Excellence Award, National Winner, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2005, ISU Extension Team Scholarship and the Discovery/Engagement Partnership Award, Iowa Food Insecurity Project, Iowa State University Extension
- 2005, Internet Education Technology Award, Partnering with Partents ONLINE, National Finalist, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2004, Iowa State University Foundation Early Achievement in Extension or Professional Practice Award